Saturday, December 25, 2010

D Day 327th Glider uniform from estate in NH, via daughter of vet

This guy was parachuted in, even though he was 327th Glider, I was told there were too few gliders, but he was there in any case.  I bought it from his daughter, a newspaper writer, and in the end she did a story about me...very flattering, and a great story with some very BAD photos of me.  I have found less than 10 lots in 25 years from Normandy D Day guys, sometimes overseas this is spoken of as though they can be had at will here in the states.  I even had one British buyer tell me he would like a 101st lot (NOT 82nd, which he saw as second rate) when I went home to the US, and it needed to have dogtags, and his helmet.  Evidently he had never gone on housecalls.  I almost laughed.  Its rare stuff, and there is much more of it out there now than there ever was then...IE, FAKES.  When the public creates demand, the suppliers get to work and fill the need.  And collectors and investors with more desire than savvy end up with it.  Large named lots, with little or no age and too much great stuff but light on ORIGINAL paper or photos, should be avoided.     

No comments:

Post a Comment